Adjustable Dumbbells and Dumbbells Sets
Dumbbells are type of free weights - short bar with weight plates on both ends. In combination with treadmills, dumbbells can be used for isolation or multi-joint exercises used for strengthening and toning the body.
Fixed size dumbbells are commonly found in every commercial gym as the dumbbells set positioned on easily accessible dumbbells' rack(s).
Adjustable dumbbells come in the form of short bars, which can be combined with weight plates to achieve any desired weight or in the form of adjustable dumbbells with 'dial-in' mechanism.
Fixed Size Dumbbells
Main advantage of fixed size dumbbells is that at any given moment, maximum number of possible trainees using these dumbbells corresponds to the number of dumbbells pairs - if trainees are doing single hand exercises, then number of possible trainees rises even further. Also, there is no time lost for changing the weight of the dumbbells - one simply takes the required dumbbells and continue with the exercise.
This is why fixed size dumbbells are so common in commercial gyms.
For home use, fixed size dumbbells have several drawbacks - they occupy plenty of space, even when on the rack. Also, their total weight can be significant, which is very important for often sensitive home floors.
This is why, for home use, many trainees choose adjustable dumbbells.
Adjustable Dumbbells With Dial-in Mechanism
Dumbbells in the form of ordinary short bars can be combined with weight plates to create 'adjustable' dumbbells, they require time to change the weight, which can be rather annoying when must be done often.
For home use, most trainees choose adjustable dumbbells with dial-in mechanism.
These dumbbells have many advantages and some shortcomings, when compared with fixed size dumbbells:
- initial price for adjustable dumbbells is higher when compared with fixed size dumbbells, but if one requires larger dumbbells set, adjustable dumbbells are cheaper in the long run and they save money.
- adjustable dumbbells require less space than fixed size dumbbells and they also weigh less. Dumbbell stands for adjustable dumbbells are very convenient, since they are used for placing the dumbbells when in use and when changing the weight and for storing the dumbbells when they are not in use. Since the weight of the dumbbell stands in combination with adjustable dumbbells is relatively low, they have transport wheels for moving around, which significantly helps in storing them away, when not in use.
- at any given moment, only one pair of adjustable dumbbells is available for workout, while all fixed size dumbbells are available all the time.
- changing weight of adjustable dumbbells lasts longer than just picking up another set of fixed size dumbbells, but difference is just few seconds.
- fixed size dumbbells are just a 'lump' of metal and are very durable. Adjustable dumbbells are not as durable as fixed size dumbbells, but if they are not regularly thrown on the floor, they can last for a really long time.
Popular Dumbbells for Home Gyms
Here are few examples of dumbbells sets and adjustable dumbbells which are commonly found in home gyms.
Note: these are Amazon links, and they open in the new windows, so feel free to check them, without obligations of any kind.
Bowflex SelectTech 552 Adjustable Dumbbells
These adjustable dumbbells combine 15 sets of weights into one dumbbell, using very simple and fast to use dial-in system.
Each dumbbell adjusts from 5 to 52.5 pounds, in 2.5-pound increments.
Possible weight settings in pounds: 5, 7.5, 10, 12.5, 15, 17.5, 20, 22.5, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45, 50, and 52.5 pounds.
Note dumbbell dimensions: 15.75" long x 8" wide x 9" high. Length of 15.75" (40 cm) can cause some issues with certain exercises, so one should be careful when using these dumbbells for the first time.
For more reviews and recommendations, check Bowflex SelectTech 552 Adjustable Dumbbells (Pair) link.
Bowflex SelectTech 1090 Adjustable Dumbbells
These dumbbells are very similar to 552 model, but these change weight from 10 to 90 pounds (hence the name, 1090), in 5 pounds increments, while 552 model change the weight from 5 to 52 pounds (actually,
552 model change the weight to 52.5 pounds).
Possible weight settings in pounds: 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45, 50, 55, 60, 65, 70, 75, 80, 85, and 90 pounds.
These dumbbells are 17.5" wide (44.5 cm) and one must be careful when doing certain exercises to avoid injuries.
For more reviews and recommendations, check Bowflex SelectTech 1090 Adjustable Dumbbell (Pair) link.
Bayou Fitness Adjustable Dumbbells
Bayou Fitness adjustable dumbbells range from 5 to 25 pounds, in 5 pounds increments.
Their width is around 13" (33 cm), so they are easier to use in certain exercises than Bowflex's 552 and especially 1090 models.
For trainees requiring relatively light adjustable dumbbells, these dumbbells are better choice than Bowflex's models, but if you do need heavier dumbbells, 25 pounds (11.3 kg) per single dumbbell isn't much.
For more reviews and recommendations, check Bayou Fitness Adjustable Dumbbells 5-25 lb (Pair) link.
Body Solid GDR363-RFWS Dumbbell Rack
This dumbbell rack set include dumbbell rack, set of dumbbells, and rubber mat to protect the floor.
Rack features three shelves which hold full set of dumbbells, helping one keep workout area organized and safe.
Rack measures (W x H x D): 40 x 30 x 20 inches (101.6 x 76.2 x 50.8 cm).
The set includes a pair of 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45, and 50-pound hexagonal dumbbells.
For more reviews and recommendations, check Body Solid GDR363-RFWS Dumbbell Rack with Rubber Dumbbells link.
Note: set costs and weighs more than any of the individual adjustable dumbbell pairs, but for the home gyms where several trainees workout at the same time, it is perhaps better option.