BSN Syntha-6 Meal Replacement Powder
BSN Syntha-6 is a very balanced Meal Replacement Powder (MRP), which contains various protein sources for sustained release of amino acids in the bloodstream. It can be used for breakfasts, daily snacks, and meals, and even after workouts. Thanks to many available flavors and different package sizes, it is one of the most popular MRPs on the market.
BSN Syntha-6 as protein sources has Whey Protein Concentrate, Whey Protein Isolate, Calcium Caseinate, Micellar Casein, Milk Protein Isolate, Egg Albumin, and Glutamine Peptides.
Published: June 15, 2018.
Powder comes in different flavors: Banana, Chocolate Cake Batter, Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough, Chocolate Milkshake, Chocolate Peanut Butter, Cinnamon Bun, Cookies and Cream, Mochaccino, Peanut Butter Cookie, Strawberry Milkshake, Vanilla Ice Cream, etc.
Note: flavors change over time and not all flavors are available at any given time.
Macronutrient content varies slightly from flavor to flavor, but not much. For example, Cookies and Cream contains, per 100g of powder, around 47g of protein, 30g of total carbs (including 11g of fibers and 4g of sugar), and 13g of fats.
BSN Syntha-6 Macronutrient Content
The following table contains the list of the most popular BSN Syntha-6 flavors (list is sorted alphabetically) - macronutrients are given for one serving:
|Flavor||Serving Size||Protein||Total Carbs||Sugars||Fibers||Fats||Saturated Fats||Cholesterol|
|Chocolate Cake Batter||47g||22g||15g||2g||5g||6g||2g||55 mg|
|Chocolate Peanut Butter||47g||22g||15g||2g||5g||6g||2g||55 mg|
|Cookies and Cream||47g||22g||14g||2g||5g||6g||2g||60 mg|
|Peanut Butter Cookie||47g||22g||15g||2g||5g||6g||1.5g||75 mg|
As one can see, the difference between flavors are minimal, helping the users to fit the macros of various flavors to their daily nutrition. All flavors have one serving of 47g, containing 22g of protein, 14-15g of carbs, 2-4g of sugars, 5g of fibers, 6g of fats, and ~2g of saturated fats. Cholesterol is relatively low at 55-75mg per serving - nonetheless, if you are monitoring your cholesterol intake, don't forget to include cholesterol from BSN Syntha-6, especially if you take more than one serving per day.
The taste of BSN Syntha-6 is great, especially Chocolate Peanut Butter and Cookies and Cream (note: author of this review is slightly chocoholic :) ). Because of added carbs, fats, and fibers, shakes are very fulfilling and represent very balanced meals - it is a great Meal Replacement Powder (MRP). Vanilla and fruity flavors are good, especially for making smoothies with cottage cheese, fruits, and other foods - they taste good on their own, too.
BSN Syntha-6 comes in various packages - 2.9 Lbs, 5 Lbs, and 10 Lbs. Also, 5 servings bag is available and highly recommended for people who want to give Syntha-6 a try or for trips, holidays, or anything similar.
Mixing is ok in a shaker - just put one or two scoops in the shaker, add water, shake it few seconds, and a great tasting shake is made. It is a very good all-in-one powder for breakfast and daily shakes, except for bed time - personally, it has too little casein and caseinate proteins to be a good bedtime protein powder. However, if you would like to use your BSN Syntha-6 for bedtime protein shakes and smoothies, feel free to add some low-fat or cottage cheese or casein-only protein powder and blend/mix everything.
Price is ok, bigger packages being of course cheaper per gram of powder.
BSN Syntha-6 and Weight Loss
Can BSN Syntha-6 be used for weight loss? Of course, it can be used for weight loss, but only as part of well balanced, calorie-deficient diet, in combination with regular exercises.
If you plan on going on a serious diet, check your health at your doctor's office and speak with your doctor about your weight loss plans - better safe than sorry.
As part of a weight loss diet, BSN Syntha-6 should be used as the meal replacement and for killing cravings for sweets - call me chocoholic, but one serving of Chocolate flavor (or Chocolate Cake Batter or Chocolate Peanut Butter) kill cravings for sweets, at least for me. And obviously, there is a huge macronutrient difference between BSN Syntha-6 and most of the chocolates/sweets on the market, right? :)
BSN Syntha-6 - highly recommended as all-in-one MRP powder. Because of a relatively high content of carbs, fats, and fibers (which after all make this powder so balanced meal), this is not a recommendable product for calorie very restricted diets, nor for Keto diets.
But, it is a great MRP for breakfasts and daily snacks. As bedtime MRP is not so good due to the higher content of whey proteins - if you are going to make a bedtime smoothie with low fat or cottage cheese, feel free to add BSN Snytha-6 for both increased protein content and for better taste and aroma.
BSN Syntha-6 vs BSN Syntha-6 Edge vs BSN Syntha-6 Isolate
BSN manufactures several protein supplements under the name Syntha-6, leading to slight confusion among their users.
The main difference between these supplements is given in the following table:
|Name||BSN Syntha-6||BSN Syntha-6 Edge||BSN Syntha-6 Isolate|
|Main Protein Sources||Whey Protein Concentrate, Whey Protein Isolate, Calcium Caseinate, Micellar Casein, Milk Protein Isolate, Egg Albumin, and Glutamine Peptides||Whey Protein Concentrate, Whey Protein Isolate, Hydrolysed Whey Protein Isolate, Milk Protein Concentrate, Micellar Casein, Calcium Caseinate||Whey Protein Isolate, Milk Protein Isolate|
|Protein Per Single Serving Size||22g||24g||25g|
|Amazon Link||BSN SYNTHA-6 Protein Powder||BSN SYNTHA-6 EDGE Protein Powder||BSN SYNTHA-6 ISOLATE Protein Powder|
Note: Amazon links open in the new windows, feel free to check them.
The most obvious differences between these protein supplements are protein sources and macronutrient content:
- BSN Syntha-6 protein powder is a very balanced Meal Replacement Powder (MRP). Although it is based on whey protein, it also contains more casein proteins than BSN Syntha-6 Edge and BSN Syntha-6 Isolate protein powders. Also, it contains much more fibers, fats, and carbs, making it more 'balanced' MRP.
- BSN Syntha-6 Edge protein powder contains protein sources that digest faster than BSN Syntha-6, but also more slowly than BSN Syntha-6 Isolate. Also, it is a better protein source than BSN Syntha-6, containing around 24g of protein per single serving, which is around 37g of powder (BSN Syntha-6 single serving is 47g of powder!).
- BSN Syntha-6 Isolate is based on protein isolates: Whey protein isolate and milk protein isolate. Although Milk protein isolate also contains casein protein, which slows down digestion, BSN Syntha-6 Isolate digests faster than BSN Syntha-6 and BSN Syntha-6 Edge. Also, it contains very little cholesterol, several times less than other Syntha-6 protein powders.
- if you need well-balanced MRP for breakfasts and daily snacks, that you can also use for blending with other foods, go for BSN Syntha-6.
- if you need high-protein MRP that you can also use for daily snacks, for blending, and even after workouts, go for BSN Syntha-6 Edge.
- if you need high-protein protein powder that is whey-based and used after workouts, for blending with other foods, for increasing protein content in other meals, or for increasing daily protein intake, go for BSN Syntha-6 Isolate.
For more reviews and recommendations, feel free to follow BSN SYNTHA-6 Protein Powder Amazon link (link opens in the new window).